JDK7 and Beyond
focus of JDK 7
- multiple languages * not really the focus of this talk
- Java language evolution
- project to evolve the Java language
- improved integer literals
- "exotic identifiers": #"op~"
- for interoperation with langugages that may use symbols and such in method names and other identifiers (ex: Scala)
- modularization of the JVM
- JVM is too large (18MB), slow to download not on broadband, hard to fit on small devices
- ex: import the 'desktop' module, get swing, sound, awt, etc.
- jmod tool to quickly install packages:
- sudo jmod install [url for .jmod package] and you're done
- Da Vinci Machine Project
- explored further in the next session
- goal is to support multiple languages well on the JVM